Another day, another celeb-turned-beauty mogul — what's for lunch, am I right? But, something hit different for me when singer-songwrite...

I Tried ALL Of Halsey’s About-Face Makeup & Here Are The Coolest Products

Another day, another celeb-turned-beauty mogul — what's for lunch, am I right? But, something hit different for me when singer-songwriter Halsey announced her foray into the beauty field: About-Face. I was pumped. The artist is not your average star slapping their name on a makeup line, Halsey's actually an enviable expert; famous for doing her own glam that's been featured on everything from album covers (including that turquoise-glitter-flecked eye for Manic) to red carpet events and live performances. In short, she knows a thing or two about beauty.

About-Face isn't like any other makeup brand (celeb or otherwise) that I've tried. Maybe it's the fact that the colors are carefully curated. Or, maybe it's the fact that it taps into the artistic and joyful element of makeup that especially appeals to my soul at this point in quarantine. Whatever it is that Halsey's putting in her beauty secret sauce, it's working. Keep reading for my thoughts on every single About-Face product featured in the collection — including selfies, what to buy in every color, and what to skip.

At Refinery29, we’re here to help you navigate this overwhelming world of stuff. All of our market picks are independently selected and curated by the editorial team. If you buy something we link to on our site, Refinery29 may earn commission. 

Paint-It Matte Lip Color & Matte Fix Lip Pencil


The first product I tried was the matte lip liner and liquid lippies. I'm constantly in search of the perfect nude shade, and these rosy cocoa shades really spoke to me. For my olive skin, the lip liner in Cradled is the perfect MLBB ("my lips but better") hue, and I chose to layer it with the liquid lipstick in the shade Slumber for a '90s-inspired brown lip.

About-Face Paint-It Matte Lip Color, $, available at About-Face

About-Face Matte Fix Lip Pencil, $, available at About-Face

Matte Fix Lip Pencil


Lip liners have historically not really been part of my routine, mostly because I tend to find them kind of dry and flat. I was shooketh to my core when I swatched these lip pencils; they're creamy, pigmented, and look good all on their own.

About-Face Matte Fix Lip Pencil, $, available at About-Face

Paint-It Matte Lip Color


Right off the bat, I loved the packaging of these matte lippies. However, the formula is truly the star here: It's full-coverage in one swipe, and it *actually* doesn't transfer onto your glass (or mask!). Plus, a vampy red shade (Hush Tonite, from About-Face's Anti- V-Day collection) garnered oohs and aahs from my coworkers during a recent Zoom meeting.

About-Face Paint-It Matte Lip Color, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Highlight Fluid & Light Lock Stick


Have we reached peak highlighter? Probably – but somehow, I always have room for just one more (or two, in this case). The stick formula is perfect for a level one strobe, but if you want to up the ante, layer on a couple of drops of the liquid stuff. My fave shades of the bunch are the champagne stick in Please Indulge Me combined with the liquid highlighter in Shaken Or Stirred.

About-Face Light Lock Stick, $, available at About-Face

About-Face Light Lock Highlight Fluid, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Highlight Fluid


I tend to vibe with liquid or stick highlighters since they tend to blend into the skin more seamlessly than a powder. A few drops of this shimmery fluid was all it took to take my cheekbones to strobe city, and I could also envision mixing it into a foundation for a subtle, all-over glow.

About-Face Light Lock Highlight Fluid, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Stick


I like how small and chubby this stick was, and the fact that I could just swipe and blend it out with my fingers. The texture was similar to a cream-to-powder and left behind a subtle sheen that wasn't too intense, which I liked.

About-Face Light Lock Stick, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Powder & Light Lock Lip Gloss


I love a tonal moment, so I chose matching shades when choosing among the highlighting powders and glosses. I applied the shade Lightspun as a bronzer and layered the Payton gloss (named after Halsey's BFF!) over the matte lip look in the first slide.

About-Face Light Lock Powder, $, available at About-Face

About-Face Light Lock Lip Gloss, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Powder


I've tried countless highlighter powders, and this one is pretty solid. That said, out of all the products I tried, this is the one I'd be most inclined to skip on. It did bestow a nice glow, but it was très shimmery — which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not my thing.

About-Face Light Lock Powder, $, available at About-Face

Light Lock Lip Gloss


Gloss: It's back and better than ever! About-Face's formula is cushiony and nothing short of gorgeous. It comes in four shades, ranging from sparkly clear to Sugar Plum Fairy pink.

About-Face Light Lock Lip Gloss, $, available at About-Face

Matte Fluid Eye Paint


These are probably my favorite products out of the entire About-Face lineup. I love experimenting with eye makeup (see my previous adventures with Animal Crossing's Colourpop collab), so these eye paints instantly begged to be played with. After watching this YouTube tutorial from Halsey herself (girl, launch a channel ASAP), I picked up a genius trick: Blend white with any shade to instantly lighten it up for a custom color.

About-Face Matte Fluid Eye Paint, $, available at About-Face

Matte Fluid Eye Paint


The possibilities with this magic stuff are endless: Blend it out for a wash of color, or do what I do and apply it with a small angled brush as a graphic eyeliner. It's pigmented AF, so no matter how you wear it, a little goes a long way. These are fully worth the $.

About-Face Matte Fluid Eye Paint, $, available at About-Face

Shadowstick


Last but not least, there are eight funky hues of Shadowstick, a creamy jumbo pencil that comes in a variety of matte and shimmer hues. Plus, a built-in sharpener makes it perfect for creating painterly swaths of color, precise lines, and everything in between.

About-Face Shadowstick, $, available at About-Face

Matte Fix Spray


The bad news is that this stuff is currently sold out. However, the good news is that once it's back, you'll definitely want to cop this setting mist, which refreshed my skin and even helped minimize mask transfer.

About-Face Matte Fix Spray, $, available at About-Face

Blend Tool


I'm a minimalist. I like to use my fingers whenever possible to apply products — and, if I use a tool, I keep it simple. This velvety sponge offers the same blendability as a Beautyblender but offers extra-precise application since it slips onto your finger.

About-Face Blend Tool, $, available at About-Face
The final look with a full face of Halsey-approved makeup! I mixed Matte Fluid Eye Paint in White Noise and Smoke Signal for an eyeliner shade to match my sweater, and accented my inner corner with Shadowstick in Oxide. On my cheeks is Light Lock Stick in Please Indulge Me, Light Lock Highlight Fluid in Shaken or Stirred, and Light Lock Powder in Lightspun. On lips, Matte Fix Lip Pencil in Cradled, Paint-It Matte Lip Color in Slumber, and Light Lock Lip Gloss in Payton.

Like what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?

Halsey Just Dropped Her Own Makeup Line

The Lip Bar Is Now TLB Beauty — & At Walmart

Brother Vellies' Exclusive Sephora Beauty Bags



from Refinery29 https://ift.tt/3qzonWg
via IFTTT