After a year-long setback, the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games were officially able to happen in 2021, when we were still in the midst of a pandemi...

What Do Olympic Athletes Do When The Games Are Over?

After a year-long setback, the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games were officially able to happen in 2021, when we were still in the midst of a pandemic. The greatest athletes in the world gathered in Japan to compete from July 23 to August 8, taking over TikTok, giving us an immense amount of FOMO, and debunking those anti-sex bed rumors. They also protested, dealt with their mental health in front of the entire world, and pushed their bodies to their absolute limits. And now — just like that — the Games are over.

But.... what comes next? What do the best athletes in the world do after their Olympic journey comes to an end? The answer varies widely, depending on the athlete. Refinery29 spoke to five Olympians about what it's like to leave Tokyo after the long-awaited games, and how they're figuring out their next moves.
Name: Brisa Hennessy
Age: 21
Sport: Surfing

Refinery29: How does life feel after the Olympics? Has anything changed? 

Brisa Hennessy: "I would actually say it has changed in the way of what I'm surfing for. Surfing for Costa Rica at the Olympics was like surfing for something bigger than myself. The level of support you get from the country you’re surfing for, and all of these people that are cheering you on, it’s very emotional. I've never really felt that before, so that was something truly special. Now I'm totally surfing for those people that did so much for me and sent me supportive messages and believed in me, the people that make me who I am. I want to represent them with my whole heart." 

What are your immediate plans now that the Olympics are over?

"I’m currently in Barra de La Cruz, Mexico for the Corona Open Mexico. It’s a super exciting event because it hasn’t happened since 2006, so I’m very happy to be here. There is a big contrast from Japan and the Olympics, but there is still a competitive atmosphere, and I love that. I’m super excited for it. It’s kind of crazy, I feel like surfing is an all-year kind of sport. We always have to be on and traveling. It’s very different from other sports and unique in that sense. So, another competition is my next plan, and I’m here now and I’m super grateful." 

What does your calendar of events look like for the rest of this year?

"That’s probably the most hilarious question to ask me, especially since I don't even have a house right now! But after this is straight to Tahiti and then California. I have a World Surf League Challenger Series event in Huntington Beach in September, and then the series continues in Europe with Portugal and France, and we finish the year in Hawaii. After that, the year-round life of a professional surfer just kind of starts all over again." 

What about your longer-term plans?

"I know that I'm definitely going to be a surfer forever, and I hope that I can do it professionally for as long as I can. I don’t have a side job, but cooking is a big part of my life and is something I love very much. I would love to open a restaurant one day, or at least something to do with cooking and feeding people, and making them happy in that way. I’m actually learning holistic nutrition right now, so I’ve been kind of balancing that with my career and it’s been really good to have another passion besides surfing."

How long have you been cooking?

"I was born in the kitchen as well as in the ocean — my mom was a chef at an eco lodge in Costa Rica. I would just barge into the kitchen and order anything I wanted and I had a very sophisticated palate. I come from a very long line of cooks and chefs and we believe in bringing people together through food and connecting in that way." 

Is it difficult to balance your sport with that passion, and how do you manage it?

"No, cooking for me is something that actually releases that energy and helps me relax more. My mom really does a good job of getting Airbnbs that have kitchens when we’re traveling, so right after I compete I go straight into the kitchen and make us either lunch, dinner, breakfast, or dessert. It’s my way of having my own time, going through my thoughts and even thinking about surfing while I’m cooking, so it simultaneously works."

Name: Bryce Wettstein
Age: 17
Sport: Park Skateboarding

Refinery29: What are your immediate plans, now that the Olympics are over?

Bryce Wettstein: "It was a long time overseas and away from my family, so I’ve just been so grateful to chill out at home, get lost in my backyard, and just follow my heart and be spontaneous. My sister really missed me and it’s nice just to get back to normal a bit, though the experiences as a first-ever skateboarding Olympian was completely priceless. I actually have senior year starting next week at San Dieguito Academy so I’m trying to readjust to the time zone and switch gears into academia mode. In fact, volleyball practice started two days after I got home from Tokyo. I’m really excited to see my friends again and find out how high school might look being a hybrid of remote and in-person learning. I am really looking forward to getting back out to the beach, family surf sessions, and I made the varsity beach volleyball team. Time to start training for those games! I really missed my teammates, it’s always just fun with them."

What about your longer-term plans?

"I’m a pretty full time… everything. Full-time student and a full-time lots-of-sports kind of person. I also do have a job as a skateboarder, thanks to all the amazing brand partners I have like Core Hydration, who empowers girls to try skateboarding and to pick up a board. I also skate for Converse Shoes, Stereo Skateboards, Bones Wheels and Bearings, Mob Griptape, McGill’s Skateshop, and Indy Trucks.

"I'm looking at part-time jobs locally and am hoping the local flower store is hiring. I was thinking I’d really enjoy helping people choreograph their bouquets."

Is it difficult to balance your sport with school How do you manage it?

"My parents are amazing and we have a mini team with my agent and our PR friend, so we have a shared calendar. I love school and learning new things, especially neuroscience and foreign languages. I try to be able to speak as much as I can in the language of the country I’m in.

"If I find myself moved to write some lyrics or go with my friends to the skatepark, I like to follow my instincts... I’m kind of always doing something. I don’t know how I balance it all, with homework and school, but I’m doing fine with my grades so something must be working! My parents really try to make sure I’m not over-scheduled so that’s helpful, but I really don’t often feel too overwhelmed.

"I have songs out on Spotify that I released before I left for the Olympics. The EP is called “Paper Airplanes” which has 4 sounds on it."

Will it feel strange to return to school after competing in the Olympics?

"My family has an affinity for keeping every day full and interesting. Our goal is for each day to feel fulfilling and new, so I expect it should just be more of that. If every day I can find delightful surprises and joy, then perhaps I don’t necessarily need a an official break, per se."

What’s next for you, athletics-wise?

"I was surprised and honored to get an invite to compete in Tony Hawk’s Vert Alert contest next week. Vert contests are few and far between so I definitely want to be a part of this one. Tony Hawk’s ramp is not far from where I live, so I’ll be local for the semi-finals. And if I make it to finals, I’ll be traveling to Salt Lake City for the competition.

"Skateboarding isn’t like other sports — it’s not like anything else. It’s not just a sport, it’s not just a form a self-expression, it’s who you are. When someone’s ask what you are, someone else might say something like “a student” or “a mother” but for skaters, we’ll always be a “skater” first and forever. I like competitions be it skateboarding, surfing, or volleyball. It’s when we all get to come back together and create a new moment with what we love, as a form of self expression. And we’re always pushing what’s possible on our boards, that’s just the nature of skateboarding."
Name: Mallory Weggemann
Age: 32
Sport: Paralympic Swimming

Refinery29: What are your immediate plans when the Paralympics are over?

Mallory Weggemann: "First things first, I will be giving my loved ones a big, long, overdue hug. My family is a big part of this journey and not having them with me in Tokyo will be incredibly challenging. With that said, I know that decision was made to make these Games safe for all, however it will still be difficult. I'm already anticipating the emotions we will feel when we are reunited.

"After that, I plan to enjoy the fall with my husband — doing what we love, between the work we are doing with our production company, my speaking career, and continuing to promote my book, Limitless. I am excited to travel with him and connect with people in person again. And, most of all, we are beyond excited to begin our journey towards starting a family. As a female athlete my career has delayed that dream, and with the postponement of the Tokyo Games it was pushed back another year, so I am beyond excited for us to begin to build our family and continue this journey as a mom." 

What about your longer-term plans? Do you have a full- or part-time job you’ll be returning to (or trying to get)? Or are you a full-time athlete?

"Long term, I plan to continue swimming. My husband and I would love nothing more than to start a family and to continue this journey with children. With that said, I plan to continue competing through the LA28 Games and as for life after, time will tell. But as long as I still love swimming and my body allows me to do it, I have no plans of retirement.

"As for life outside of the pool, I feel extremely fortunate to have created a space to pursue my passions while continuing my athletic career. This year I released my book, Limitless, and it is my hope that will be the first of many. I plan to continue my career as a motivational speaker, as well building upon my career as a reporter and passionately advocating for the disability community and greater representation.  In addition I am also co-CEO of TFA Group, a social impact agency and production company that my husband and I co-founded that focuses on utilizing the power of story telling to change perception of disability in our society." 

If you do have another job, how long have you been doing it?

"I have been a motivational speaker for a decade, I became an author this year, and I had my first opportunity as a reporter in 2018 for NBC at the PyeongChang Paralympics. As for TFA Group, we officially co-founded it in 2018 and in the years since have released two documentaries with another one currently in production."

How do you balance your sport with working?

"I wasn’t following my professional pursuits outside of the pool prior to competition as I began competing internationally at the age of 20, but I would still say that balance is critical. I absolutely love what I do outside of the pool and in many ways it makes me a better swimmer because it allows me to understand that my entire worth isn’t tied up in what I do as an athlete. I believe the biggest piece to managing it all is support. I don’t do any of it alone, I have a remarkable partner in my husband and we are fortunate to be surrounded by an incredible team. Ultimately it comes down to understanding that it is okay to ask for help. No one person can juggle it all, but when you surround yourself with remarkable people you realize you aren’t expected to.  Our motto in our household (and business), is 'we do it,' because it truly is a team effort."

Will it feel strange to return to work after competing in the Paralympics?

"Honestly, I haven’t stopped working. We are in production on a documentary right now and I absolutely love the work we are doing, so I haven’t fully turned off from my career outside of the pool. I did give my last keynote in the middle of July and so I am eager to return to speaking following the Games and as for Limitless, I am still in the height of promotion with some exciting opportunities to come in the fall. All in all, each part of my career is part of my identity and while I am extremely focused on bringing years of hard work to life in Tokyo, I am also really proud of the fact that I have been able to simultaneously chase many dreams and know that each one feeds the other. 

"I plan to continue training upon my return from Tokyo. I have had a very long road to get to where I am athletically, one that included returning from what many would consider a career-ending injury and now that I am stronger than ever before I have no plans of letting up. I plan to train for the 2024 Paralympic Games while simultaneously chasing my career pursuits outside of the pool and hopefully, God willing, start a family."
Name: Helen Marulis
Age: 30
Sport: Wrestling

Refinery29: What are your immediate plans, now that the Olympics are over? 

Helen Marulis: "My immediate plans after the Olympics are to go home and see my family and my dog. I'm going to stay safe, keep testing and quarantining, and hopefully I'll be able to go to Lesbos, Greece which is where there is a refugee camp that When We Band Together supports and works with. I got involved with them with the Athletes For Good grants. I'm excited to just go see everything that's come to fruition there and all of the opportunities these refugees now have through the grant."

What about your longer-term plans?

"I thought this was going to be my last Olympic Games, and I was looking to transition to a new career. I had a lot of great results and success from this therapy called fascial counterstrain therapy, so I actually was considering going back to school to learn how to do that and hopefully help people with concussions and other issues. However, I am also now planning on continuing wrestling, so hopefully I will be able to pursue both of those at the same time and just keep doing what I love to do.

"I've been an athlete since I was seven years old, and I did make the national team when I was 16 so I did start getting paid young. It wasn't a bunch, I've had some other small jobs, but it wasn't a full time career or anything."

Will you be continuing to train, with or without an additional job? What’s next for you, athletics-wise?

"I will be continuing to train, I think it's really important not to just cold turkey stop training — especially mental health and physically, it really affects you. Also, we have the World Championships for 2021 in October so I'm planning on going to those. I'm really excited I'll get to compete again.

"I really thought I was going to retire after these Tokyo Olympics just because of my body and where I was health-wise. I remember the night before competition just thinking, Wow this is my last tournament ever after 22 long years, and I just wanted to go up there and wrestle my heart out. I wished I could wrestle the way I used to when I was healthy. And then I actually was able to do that, and it brought back so many emotions that I just remember thinking to myself, Well, if I'm wrestling like this maybe I should keep wrestling. Now I'm just taking it day by day."
Name: Johanne Defay
Age: 27
Sport: Surfing

Refinery29: What are your immediate plans, now that the Olympics are over? 

Johanne Defay: "After the Olympics, I went back to France quickly and jumped on a plane to come here to Mexico to train. I am currently in Mexico at Barra de la Cruz for the World Surf League Championship Tour event. The event is starting today, so that is my main plan for now. We are two events away from determining the WSL Final 5, first here in Mexico and then to Tahiti."

What about your longer-term plans?

"I’ve been a full-time athlete since I was 18 years old, so it has been 10 years already. I’ve completely dedicated my life to surfing competitions, competing on the World Surf League Championship Tour, being an athlete, and trying to do my very best to be the best surfer I can be. I still have the motivation to do that, but it is definitely starting to cross my mind and to think of what is going to be next for me. I like to plan ahead and I do not want to be in that situation where if I stop surfing competitively I do not know where to go, so I'm slowly starting to think of what I can do and how I can work towards that." 

How do you manage your surf/life balance?

"As professional surfers and athletes, we have a big season — the WSL Championship Tour — that takes a lot of time of the year, but we still have some downtime where we are really able to train the way we want and organize our schedules the way we want. I am very grateful for that. Every time I do not have to travel for a contest, I usually do not go on surf trips, I go back to my family and friends at home. As much as possible, I try to balance that because I know if I surf too much or if after a contest I go on a surf trip, I know I am drained quite easily compared to other surfers. I need that time to breathe and to be outside of that world to have that desire to be there again." 

Does it feel strange to return to the World Surf League Championship Tour after competing in the Olympics?

"It doesn't feel strange to come back to the WSL Championship Tour after the Olympics. I thought it was more weird to be at the Olympics because it was very new for us. Coming back to the Championship Tour, it is what we know, we know the people, it feels also like a little family traveling the world. We know each other pretty well now and it does feel good to be back and continue the season. The Olympics made me appreciate the fact that we are a sport that has a professional league and professional events and we can actually live our dream without the Olympics, which is only every four years, so it did make me appreciate that too."

Like what you see? How about some more R29 goodness, right here?

Who Gets To Protest At The Olympics?

Travel Diaries: How Olympian Lolo Jones Travels

Anyone Else Having Olympics FOMO?



from Refinery29 https://ift.tt/3CIapbd
via IFTTT